Knowledge CenterKnowledge Center Most Popular TopicsMost Popular Topics Most Helpful TopicsMost Helpful Topics LoginLogin
RSS Feeds
DrillDown Icon Table of Contents Back
 . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DrillDown Icon Bouncer Certification
DrillDown Icon Richard Negrin, Deputy Mayor for Administration and Coordination and Managing Director
DrillDown Icon ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (including Human Resources, Records, Performance Management, Fleet, Public Property)
DrillDown Icon HEALTH (including Human Services, Supportive Housing, Mental & Behavioral Health)
DrillDown Icon PUBLIC SAFETY (including 1st Judicial District, Police, Fire, Prisons, Probation, Emergency Management, District Attorney)
DrillDown Icon PLANNING & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (including Commerce, L&I, RDA)
DrillDown Icon Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC)
DrillDown Icon City Planning Commission
DrillDown Icon What is the function of the Philadelphia Historical Commission?
DrillDown Icon TRANSPORTATION & PUBLIC UTILITIES (including Streets, Water, Airport)
DrillDown Icon General information regarding City Programs and City Partnership Programs
DrillDown Icon FINANCE (including Revenue, Water Revenue, Finance / Risk Management)
DrillDown Icon Welcome to Philly311 Online Information and Request
  Subscribe Email This ArticlePrint PreviewPrint Current Article and All Sub-Articles
What kinds of home repair assistance is available to homeowners?


 Department: Housing and Community Development

Template: Contact Log

Type of Inquiry: Homes/ Housing + Home Repair Assistance

Instructions for the 311 Agent:

Advise Customer -

·        Tax Abatement Property

Tax Abatement Program - the City's Board of Revision of Taxes allows a 10-year exemption from paying taxes on the increased value of a renovated house.  No limit to the cost of improvements.  Renovations must require a building permit (e.g. installing a deck, adding a bathroom).  All taxes must be current to the Department of Revenue to take advantage of this offer.  For more information contact the Board of Revision of Taxes at 601 Walnut Street, Suite 300 West Philadelphia, PA 19106 by calling 215-686-4334 or visit

·        Home Repairs

Basic Systems Repair Program - Provides free repairs to major building systems that have failed are repaired or replaced. Examples include roof replacement; electrical system corrections or building re-wire; repairs to plumbing drainage system; replacement of water service; replacement of heater; masonry repairs, such as wall repair or replacement; carpentry repairs, such as joist and floor replacement; basement steps replacement.  Income guidelines apply you can call 215-448-2160 or visit  

Building Materials Exchange - Impact Services provides new and salvaged materials at low cost to low and middle-income homeowners.  Free membership allows homeowners to purchase materials up to 75 percent off store prices.  Available materials include: paint, lumber, floor coverings, used appliances, mirrors, windows, toilets and sinks.  For more information contact Impact Services at 111 W. Erie Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19140 by calling 215-423-3613 or   

Senior Housing Assistance Repair Program (SHARP) - home repairs include replacing exterior doors and locks, rebuilding basement steps, making minor plumbing repairs and replacing electrical switches, outlets and fixtures. Service is offered to seniors on a first-come, first-serve basis.  For more information please contact Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (PCA) at 642 N. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19130 by calling 215-765-9040 or visit

·         Loan Programs

Keystone home Energy Loan Program (HELP) - Keystone HELP provides low-rate loans to Pennsylvania homeowners for ENERGYSTAR® and other qualifying energy-efficiency improvements such as heating and cooling systems, windows, doors, insulation, geothermal and solar systems.  Work must be performed by approved contractors/dealers.  For more information contact Keystone HELP toll-free at 888-232-3477 or visit

Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition (GPUAC) loans - GPUAC offers Mini-PHIL and PHIL-Plus loans specifically designed for homeowners with less-than-perfect credit.  They must be used toward home improvements although leftover funds may be used to pay off existing consumer debt.  Income guidelines apply.  For more information call 215-851-0110 or visit

    • Mini-PHIL - homeowners can borrow up to $10,000 for home repairs and take up to 10 years to repay. 
    • PHIL-Plus - homeowners can borrow up to $25,000 for large home repairs and take up to 20 years to repay.  Applicants can apply for a 1-percent rate reduction after 24 consecutive on-time monthly payments.

Ask Customer

·         N/A

Related Topics

Modified 8/2/2013