Department: Managing Director
Template: Contact Log
Type of Inquiry: Health + Animals/ SPCA
Special Notes: Information advising callers to contact the Managing Director's Office for Animal Care and Control Issues is INCORRECT. Please advise all callers to contact 267-385-3800 ONLY.
Instructions for the 311 agent:
- Under Section 10-103 of The Philadelphia Code, all dogs 4 months and older must be licensed in Philadelphia. You must purchase a license within 30 days of obtaining a dog over the age of 4 months or within 30 days of establishing residence in the City of Philadelphia.
- Licensing regulations apply only to dogs within the City of Philadelphia. Other pets do not need to be licensed.
- If lost, dogs wearing a city license receive a longer stay at the shelter. ACCT Philly will use the information in the license database to reunite you and your pet as soon as possible.
- Dogs are required to have a current rabies vaccine in order to obtain a license. Proof of vaccination is requested at time of purchase, but not required. Your veterinarian can provide you with a rabies certificate, verifying your dog's vaccination status.
- Altered Dogs: $16
- Unaltered Dogs: $40
- Senior Pet Owners: Apply a 50% discount to the license fee
- Service Dogs: Free
- Replacement tags: $2
- All city dog licenses are valid for one year. A license expires on the last day of the month, one year after the date it was issued. Permanent licenses issued before July 1st, 2011 are valid through the duration of the dog's lifetime.
- Licenses cannot be transferred; a new owner must order a new license even if the dog is already licensed.
- If your licensed dog is lost, call 215-683-LOST.
Ask Customer- N/A
The Animal Care & Control Team of Philadelphia
111 W Hunting Park Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19140
(267) 385-3800 | phone
(267) 385-3889 | fax